Monday, May 13, 2013

Goats in the Van

Does that sound like the title of a kids' book?  Because I could totally write it from experience...


The day after Ted returned from being out of town for a week to attend a training course for work we decided we needed a family day.  The kids had missed daddy so much they didn't want him to leave their sight all day.  So, we packed a picnic lunch, loaded up the van, and drove to Glacier Ridge Animal Farm.

When we arrived, it was strangely quiet.  The website and sign along the road both said the farm was open, but there didn't seem to be anyone around...except for the goats.  As we were walking around to figure out why it was so quiet, I noticed a goat wandering our way.  I said casually to Ted, "Look, there's a goat"...and before we knew it there were several goats wandering over for a friendly visit.

The kids took one look at them and jumped into daddy's arms screaming.  They were so distraught, they nearly climbed on top of his head.  I, of course, took the opportunity to take a picture to remember this moment, because, after all, this is the stuff that memories are made of.   

The goats thought Ted was their new friend, but the kids were terrified.  We tried to assure them they were friendly goats, but the moment Valerie saw a break away she took a run for it and ran all the way back to the van.  I followed her back while Ted tried to nicely tell the goats to not follow him back to the van with a still distraught Almanzo.

Ted unlocked the van and the kids made a bee-line for their car seats, crying about the goats getting daddy.  I tried to assure that daddy was just fine while attempting without success to stifle laughter at the comedy of the entire situation.  Ted walked over to pet the goats to prove to the kids that they really were friendly goats and I took out the camera for another photo op. 

The problem was that the moment I walked back to the van, the goats thought I was their new friend and followed me back to the van.  I tried to sneak back into the van, but those goats were too fast for me.  Before I knew it, one of the goats tried to climb right into the van, followed by more screaming from the kids, and another goat took that opportunity to try climbing in as well before Ted finally came to the rescue.

Ted, of course, got head butted by one of the goats as he tried to push him out of the way to finally close the van.  "Those stupid goats...they really wanted to get right in the van with us!" he said as we finally drove home, laughing all the way as our kids sniffed away tears while declaring, "I not yike goats!" 

To add to the humor of the entire story, today the lawn mower wasn't working so Ted said, "Kids, maybe we should just get a goat."  Without skipping a beat and very distraught, Almanzo exclaims, "Noooooo!  I NOT yike goats!!!"  Valerie agreed, very matter of fact, that there would be "No.goats." at our house ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment