Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Story of Ollie: Part 1


40 week baby bump
 
 
"But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength.
They will fly high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint." 
(Isaiah 40:31)


Our Ollie has kept us guessing on his arrival for the last month.  I had contractions off and on as early as my 36 week appointment.  At that appointment my OB confirmed I was already 2 cm dilated. 

Then, the Monday after my 38 week appointment, I started contracting regularly around 3 in the afternoon.  Ted came home around 4 and we took a walk around the block with the kids.  We were timing them every two minutes and getting stronger so we called my parents.  My dad picked up the kids and took them back to his house and my mom went with us to labor and delivery.  After just over an hour they sent us home because the contractions slowed down and I wasn't progressing.  I was frustrated and exhausted so we all went to bed. 

I woke up around 7 with stronger contractions and when they became longer and more consistent, we went back to the hospital...only to have labor completely stall.  Ted ordered me to take a nap while my mom went back to her house.  My parents kept the kids so I could rest and Ted puttered around the house to be there for me.  After a long talk with my doula friend, I felt a lot better, but was still quite emotional and just disappointed.  I decided to make the most out of the day, so Ted and I enjoyed a movie and dinner date before picking up the kids.

I continued contracting off and on all week, but nothing consistent.  By my 39 week appointment, I was surprised to hear my doctor say I had progressed to 3 cm.  She knew I was still contracting and feeling quite miserable, so she stripped my membranes and begged baby to come soon.  I honestly thought he would arrive that weekend, because I became even more uncomfortable.  I could hardly sleep with all the contractions and cramping. 

But, when the contractions didn't get worse until Monday evening and then slowed down again after we were almost prepared to go back to the hospital, I really became emotional.  I felt defeated and wondered if I could even handle real, active labor...or if my body would fail me with the worst labor and delivery yet.  I spent the rest of the week feeling really down and more exhausted with each passing day. 

Thursday night, I fell asleep praying through more tears and Friday I woke up with a strange sense of peace.  I showered, got dressed (as opposed to my usual pajama attire), and spent some time reading from God's word.  As I read, I felt God reminding me that He had never and would not ever forsake me.  He already knew this little one's birth date and would give me exactly the strength I would need to bring him into this world. 

I went into my 40 week appointment prepared to talk about inducing and secretly hoping my OB would just send me right to labor and delivery...

To Be Continued

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear the rest of your birth story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that false labor! I dealt with that several times with Evanee!

    ReplyDelete