Even though these photos are from before I even met my husband, they are still part of our story. I wouldn't have met him without this church and the friends who guided and encouraged me through so many of my college days.
My first Sunday at Trinity Baptist Church, I walked all the way from campus doubting myself the entire way there. I had no idea why, but I felt like God was literally leading the way and simply wanted me to follow, even though I didn't know a single person there and the words of His book were still so new to me.
I walked in the church doors that day dripping in sweat from the long walk and trying to both catch my breath and calm my nerves. The first people I met were Dick & Jean who greeted me at the door and immediately introduced me to the pastor's wife, Lin, who, recognizing me as a college student, then introduced me to another college student, Jenny.
Jenny and I shared some small talk, none of which I remember today, and before I knew it church was starting. I don't remember much about the church service that day or even the topic of the sermon. What I do remember is how I soaked up every word Pastor Leeds shared that day, because my soul was so thirsty for Truth and it was preached and sung and shared in abundance that day.
After church, Jenny told me about Crossover, the Wednesday night bible study for college students and young adults. She drove me back to school with the promise of picking me up again on Wednesday and I began counting down the days and minutes.
That first Wednesday of Crossover, I was greeted by warm smiles and kind words. I joined the circle of men and women who would soon become dear friends and my heart was filled as Jeremy pulled out his guitar and began leading us in worship songs.
As the music ended, Regan began to walk through the book of Ephesians and I remember staring in awe as he spoke verse after verse without even glancing down at his bible. Then, he began to preach with such passion and emotion as my heart again soaked up every bit of truth and grace he shared. This was what my soul was missing and I could not get enough of it.
Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights became a refuge for me in the middle of stressful college exams and deadlines and trying to figure out who I was and what the future held for my life. I began to hide His words in my heart and understand what it meant to walk with Him.
By the time my junior year of college came, I had developed some deep friendships and church felt like home. I spent Sunday afternoons enjoying lunch and fellowship with Pastor's family...and one Sunday we were all joined by a certain young man who had just moved to the area all the way from Michigan. But that's a story for another day...
Linking up with Jessica of The Mom Creative for Throwback Thursday Stories.





What a great story! I, too, went to church one Sunday in a particularly hard season of life because I just felt that's what I was supposed to do. Through that church, the young adult Bible study and a small group, I became friends with my future husband. I love the way God weaves the details of our lives for His purposes. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDelete